Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 May 2014

Migrant dreams turn into Sahara sex work


Thomas Fessy met some of the migrants trying to make it to Europe

Migrant tragedy

Thousands of African migrants are stuck in the Nigerien town of Agadez - the gateway to the Sahara - as they battle to fulfil their dream of reaching Europe. The BBC's Thomas Fessy met some of them during a visit to the town.
This is nothing like what Vivienne expected.
"I thought I would find a job here," she says.
"I came here because of the conditions I found myself in Nigeria. I had just finished my secondary school but my Dad doesn't have money for me to study. I just want to continue north, make money and make my family proud."
Vivienne, who declined to give her surname, says she is 23. She looks younger but it is impossible to verify her age.
Last month, she took a bus ride of about 240km (150 miles) from Kano, the main city in northern Nigeria, to Zinder, Niger's second city, and from there another bus to Agadez, a town about 370km away.
Dusty alleyways She arrived in Agadez with big dreams. Instead, desperate to reach Europe, she is now selling herself to men.
"I've searched. There is no job," she laments, rolling her mobile phone between her hands.
A smuggler in Agadez, Niger (May 2014) Smugglers make a fortune out of migrants
A street scene in Agadez, Niger (April 2014) The market attracts many people to Agadez
House in Agadez, Niger (May 2014) Vivienne's home does not even have doors
I have met her in one of the poorest neighbourhoods of Agadez. She shares two dusty rooms with 10 other Nigerian young girls.
One of the rooms does not have a door. Nor does the other, but there is a curtain hanging, at least.

Start Quote

I am not happy with the job I am doing, but it's the only way I can survive”
Vivienne Nigerian sex-worker
The place is littered with open condom packets, used ones were thrown onto a pile of trash that the women burn every now and then just a couple of metres away from their doorstep.
 

READ MORE


No comments:

Post a Comment